Redefining the concept of an athlete as an active person, the MedStar Health Physical Therapy Sports Residency Program is dedicated to enhancing the quality and enjoyment of an active lifestyle for all people through comprehensive teaching, research, prevention and excellent clinical care. The MedStar Health Physical Therapy Sports Residency Program will achieve this mission by ensuring the advancement of the competent physical therapist through education and professional service into a board-certified clinical specialist.
The goal of the MedStar Health Physical Therapy Sports Residency Program is to provide the physical therapy resident with an opportunity to develop advanced competence and clinical expertise in the specialty field of sports physical therapy:
- Develop the sports physical therapy resident’s theoretical rationale, evaluation and treatment skills, and clinical reasoning processes in order to promote the prevention, treatment, and rehabilitation of injuries in an active patient population
- Develop the sports physical therapist skill set through didactic experience addressing each of the areas of foundational knowledge in the APTA Description of Specialty Practice for Sports
- Increase sports physical therapist clinical experience under the mentorship of physical therapists who specialize in the field of sports medicine
- Ensure interaction for the sports physical therapy resident in all areas of sports medicine to include shadowing with sports medicine physicians and on-field experience with certified athletic trainers
- Encourage research by the sports physical therapy resident to foster his/her critical thinking and evidence-based practice crucial to the development of our profession in the field of sports medicine
- Enable the sports physical therapy resident to sit for and pass their board examination as a clinical specialist in Sports Physical Therapy
Preferred applicants are physical therapists with one or more years of physical therapy experience OR a new graduate with at least one year of experience as a certified athletic trainer (ATC) in a full-time setting. All applicants must have either their ATC, current EMT certification or certification as an Emergency Responder and be an active APTA member.
How many years of experience in the physical therapy field should I have before applying to the Sports Residency Program?Preferred applicants are licensed physical therapists with one or more years of physical therapy experience OR a new graduate with at least one year of experience as a certified athletic trainer (ATC) in a full-time setting. All applicants must also have a current first responder course and be an active APTA member.
When is the application deadline?The application deadline is Dec 1st and can be accesses via the RF-PTCAS and APTA website
What degree should I hold to apply to the Sports Residency Program?A Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Doctor of Physical Therapy degree is needed to apply to the Sports Residency Program.
How long is the program?The MedStar Health Physical Therapy Sports Residency Program begins August 1 and runs for a period of 18 months.
Is an interview a required part of the application process?Yes; a personal interview with Sports Residency faculty members is a required part of the application process for the Sports Residency Program.
What are the requirements for successful completion of the residency?Successfully passing oral and practical exams, examinations with patients, submission of research for publication, mentorship time with physicians, and on-field experiences in various athletic settings.
Must I be licensed to practice physical therapy before applying?Yes, all residents must be licensed in Maryland prior to interviewing for the residency.
Am I going to get paid?Residents will be paid for their non-mentored, patient care in one of our affiliated clinics. They will be paid for 20 hours the first year and 30 hours the second.
Who can I contact for more information or to get an application?