The MedStar Health Advance Practice Provider (APP) Fellowship in Palliative Medicine
The MedStar Health Advance Practice Provider (APP) Fellowship in Palliative Medicine is a one-year program (July–June) in which a nurse practitioner or physician assistant fellow has the unique opportunity to engage in interprofessional education at a large tertiary hospital serving a diverse population. The APP Fellow will learn in collaboration with the social work and physician fellows, sharing didactic and workshop experiences and partnering for clinical visits.
By the end of the year, the APP Fellow will demonstrate competency in a number of domains. These include the following:
- Assessment and management of pain syndromes, non-pain symptoms, and psychosocial distress associated with serious illnesses
- Basic principles and practical applications of medical and nursing ethics
- Spiritual, religious, existential, and cultural aspects of care
- Advance care planning
- Care of imminently dying patients and their families
- Grief, loss, and bereavement support
- Team collaboration in palliative care practice, education, and research
- Interprofessional curriculum, faculty, and learners
- Accelerated development of evidence-based clinical competencies with a high degree of supervised independence
- Structured training and mentorship from experienced palliative care clinicians from multiple disciplines
- Opportunity to pursue individual interests through elective rotations
- Scholarly involvement, including a capstone project/presentation, journal club, and mentored research or QI projects designed to lead to national presentations and peer-reviewed publications
- Rotations in hospice and pediatric palliative care, as well as outpatient clinic experience
- Preparation to sit for the Advanced Practice Registered Nurse Board Certification (ACHPN) or the Certificate of Added Qualification (CAQ) for PAs in hospice and palliative medicine
- Stipend and benefits provided
- Application cycle will open in the fall to start the following July.
- Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
To apply, please submit:
- Personal statement/cover letter including how a Palliative Care Fellowship aligns with overall career goals (no more than two pages, double-spaced)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Two professional/academic letters of recommendation (preferably one letter should be from a clinician in the field of hospice or palliative care)
Please send application materials or any inquiries about the program to Sara Sabo at Sarah.R.Sabo@medstar.net.