Our brains represent one of the last great frontiers of humankind; understanding them is a challenge that will pave the way for as-yet-unimagined possibilities. Inspired by such possibilities, doctors and researchers who study the brain and the nervous system discover new wonders every day about how humankind thinks and operates.
We use a team approach to effectively treat some of the region’s most complex cases of brain injury, stroke, and neurological disorders, including:
Alzheimer's disease and dementia
Brain tumors and hemorrhages
Brain tumor resection
Headache and migraines
Peripheral nerve conditions
Comprehensive regional outpatient neurorehabilitation program
MedStar Health physical therapy’s outpatient neurorehabilitation program is one of the nation’s most advanced. Informed by ground-breaking research conducted at MedStar Health—and staffed by nationally respected experts—the program focuses entirely on boosting recovery from injury to the brain and nervous system.
Researchers at MedStar Health are learning more about how the brain functions and about how to harness brain plasticity—the brain’s amazing ability to heal, adapt, and change. This critical research is helping us develop new rehabilitation interventions and improve outcomes for our patients.
Every day, we’re putting this knowledge into practice treating adults and children with complex brain injury, stroke, spinal cord injury, and illness, as well as a host of other neurological disorders.
Conditions we treat
- Brain injury: concussion, traumatic, and non-traumatic brain injuries
- Brain tumors and hemorrhages
- Brain tumor resection
- Dementia: Alzheimer’s disease, primary progressive aphasia, other
- Facial/Bell’s palsy
- Headache and migraines
- Head and neck cancer
- Movement disorders neurological traumas
- Neuromuscular disorders
- Parkinson’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Primary lateral sclerosis
- Peripheral nerve conditions
- Post-concussive disorder
- Post-polio syndrome
- Sleep disorders
- Spinal cord Injury and Illness
- Vestibular disorders
- Voice disorders
Unique day treatment program
Our neurorehabilitation day program is designed for people who are medically stable and able to live at home, but whose daily lives can be improved through organized, intensive outpatient therapy.
Participants take part in individual and group treatment three to five times a week for approximately five hours each day. In the Day Program, an emphasis is put on developing and reaching individual goals—and helping patients carry the skills they learn into community settings.
Depending on individual needs, a patient’s treatment plan can include a range of services, including medical care, psychological, recreational, physical, and occupational therapy, and speech-language pathology.
Outpatient services throughout the region
MedStar Health physical therapy outpatient centers, located throughout the region, offer a full scope of therapies for people with neurological illness and injury. Pediatric outpatient neurorehabilitation services are also available at several centers.
Outpatient care often follows inpatient hospitalization, but can benefit patients at any time during their recovery. Individualized rehabilitative care plans focus on those therapeutic options each patient requires to maximize health and their return to their fullest possible lives.
- Physical medicine and rehabilitation physicians—called physiatrists—coordinate outpatient care. They work collaboratively with therapists, physician specialists, and primary care physicians to evaluate patients’ needs and to develop a treatment plan to reduce the multiple effects of illness and injury.
- Neuropsychologists specialize in helping patients deal with cognitive problems that can accompany neurological illness and injury. They help patients adapt to their condition and work with them to improve their quality of life.
- Physical therapists utilize a variety of techniques and advanced technology to promote patients’ mobility, reduce pain, restore strength and function, and prevent disability.
- Occupational therapists help patients improve skills of day-to-day living so that they can participate fully in their community—at home, school, or work.
- Speech-language pathologists assess, diagnose, and treat speech, language, cognitive-communication, voice, fluency, and swallowing disorders, including aphasia and dysarthria.
MedStar Health NRH neurorehabilitation outpatient program also offers a host of important special services designed to boost recovery and eliminate barriers to a patient’s best possible life.
- Aphasia clinic/aphasia mentorship program
- Aquatic therapy
- Augmentative/alternative communication clinic
- Cognitive communication therapy
- Concussion clinic
- Driver training program
- Falls prevention and balance rehab programs
- Group speech therapy
- Home and worksite evaluation and accommodation
- Individual motor speech therapy
- Language and cognitive communication therapy
- LSVT BIG & LOUD program for parkinson’s disease
- Low vision program
- Pain management
- Rehabilitation engineering
- Reiki therapy
- Seating and mobility clinic
- Spasticity clinic
- Support groups: brain injury family and friends; Comeback club for stroke patients
- Swallowing clinic
- Therapeutic recreation, adaptive sports and fitness program
- Urology services, including a urodynamics laboratory
- Vocational rehabilitation
- Voice disorders therapy