Occupational therapy (OT) services are offered throughout the MedStar Health physical therapy system. These services offer adults, adolescents, and children skills needed to lead independent and satisfying lives.
All MedStar Health occupational therapy practitioners are skilled professionals who are trained and experienced in their specialty areas.
Services are provided to persons with disabilities resulting from:
- Brain injury
- Cardiac problems
- Neurologic conditions
- Orthopedic and musculoskeletal conditions
- Spinal cord injury
- Sports injuries
- Work-related injuries, including lower back problems and repetitive stress injuries
- Assessment of skills needed to perform activities of daily living
- Customized treatment designed to improve patients’ abilities to carry out the activities of daily living
- Comprehensive home and worksite evaluation and recommendations for needed adaptations
- Recommendations and training in the use of adaptive equipment
- Patient, family, and caregiver education
When necessary, our occupational therapists work closely with other rehabilitation team members, including physicians, rehabilitation nurses, physical therapists, rehabilitation engineers, therapeutic recreation specialists, vocational rehabilitation specialists, speech-language pathologists, social workers, and psychologists.