Orthopedics and Sports Medicine Research
MedStar Health's orthopaedic research program is closely aligned with its world-class clinical programs. Nationally recognized for excellence in orthopaedics and sports medicine, MedStar Health offers a comprehensive Orthopedic and Sports Health Research division, a collaborative effort of MedStar Sports Medicine and the MedStar Health Research Institute. Investigators within this program are nationally known and have conducted collaborative research in conjunction with the National Football League (NFL), Major League Baseball, and the U.S. national lacrosse program, among others. In addition, MedStar Health is the medical team provider for the NFL's Baltimore Ravens.
Sports Medicine and Concussion
The Orthopedic and Sports Health Research division of MedStar Sports Medicine conducts clinical research that enhances patient outcomes and improves sports safety by performing innovative research in orthopedics and sports medicine. Investigations focus on clinical research in the areas of injury prevention and control, injury epidemiology, biomechanics, rehabilitation and kinesiology for the purpose of improving physical performance, reducing the risk of injury in sports and exercise, clinical drug trials and sports equipment evaluation.
Investigators within the sports medicine and concussion program have conducted numerous collaborative research which includes:
- Trends in concussion incidence in high school sports
- The prevalence of cardiovascular disease risk factors among active professional (NFL) football players
- The prevalence of cardiovascular disease risk factors among retired professional (NFL) football players
- The epidemiology of mild traumatic brain injury in boys' and girls' high school lacrosse players
- A study of head, face and eye injuries in scholastic and collegiate lacrosse
- A descriptive epidemiology of youth baseball injuries