Mitral Valve Regurgitation | MedStar Health

Improper closing of the mitral valve, allowing blood to flow backward through the heart

The mitral valve separates the two left chambers of the heart (the left ventricle and the left atrium) and opens and closes to move blood through the heart. Mitral regurgitation, a heart valve disease—also known as mitral insufficiency—occurs when the two leaves of the valve do not seal correctly and allow blood to flow backward through the left atrium into the lungs.

Our team in the Structural Heart and Valvular Disease Program has the expertise to treat mitral regurgitation with medication and surgery, offering the latest minimally invasive techniques. Without treatment, severe mitral regurgitation can cause arrhythmia or heart failure .


play button

What are the symptoms of mitral regurgitation?

Mitral regurgitation usually develops over a few months, and you may experience:

What can cause mitral regurgitation?

You may be born with mitral regurgitation, or it can be the result of damage to the mitral valve or left ventricle. Some of the possible causes include:


Diagnosing mitral regurgitation is the first step to developing a treatment plan. Our specialists may recommend one or more diagnostic and imaging procedures.


Our heart and vascular teams work together and with other specialties to develop and implement individualized plans to treat your unique condition. Severe mitral regurgitation may require surgical correction, such as a MitraClip™ , or other advanced treatments.

Mitral Valve Disease Treatments

Mitral valve disease treatments may include medication, minimally invasive procedures, and surgery to treat a damaged valve.

Percutaneous Valve Treatments

Percutaneous valve procedures use catheter-based methods to replace a damaged heart valve and are less invasive than traditional open-heart surgeries.

Ask MedStar Heart & Vascular Institute

Have general questions for our heart and vascular program? Email us at If you have clinically-specific questions, please contact your physician’s office.