Individualized care. Multidisciplinary approach. Together, under one roof.
A brain tumor diagnosis can be an overwhelming experience for patients and families. MedStar Health’s newly opened Comprehensive Brain Tumor Center, based at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital, provides diagnostic and treatment services though a full complement of medical disciplines focused on neuro-oncology. Adding to our medical team’s expertise is access to the industry’s most advanced technologies—all under one roof.
Conditions we treat
We treat many different types of brain and spinal cord tumors, including:
- Hemangiopericytoma (solitary fibrous tumor)
- Epidermoid cyst
- Acoustic neuroma
In our multidisciplinary center, we also treat brain metastases and neurological sequelae, or the after effects of a previous cancer, including headaches, seizures, and neuropathies.
Treatments we offer
Our experts offer a full array of diagnostic treatment services at one location, meaning you will receive a customized, comprehensive diagnosis and treatment plan during your first visit, expediting your treatment. We make sure you understand the diagnostic process and all of your options for treatment. We will collaborate with you to make necessary decisions, manage expectations, and alert you to any occasional side effects, keeping you informed throughout your care journey.
Our multidisciplinary clinic offers a full range of treatments, including:
- The latest biological therapies targeted to treat the individual characteristics of your tumor
- Management of steroids and antiepileptics
- Conventional radiation therapy
- Proton therapy with HYPERSCANTM.
- ZAP-X® Gyroscopic Radiosurgery
- Surgical procedures for the skull base
- Stereotactic computer guided resection
- Functional brain mapping for treatment safety
Why choose us
- Access to a full team of clinical experts including in neurosurgery, neuro-oncology, and radiation oncology all scheduled at one appointment
- Priority scheduling for in-person and telemedicine appointments
- Tumor evaluation by board-certified neuro-pathologists to ensure your diagnosis is an accurate diagnosis
- Expert brain imaging services provided by trained and experienced neuro-radiologists
- Customized care planning by the multidisciplinary team, collaborating with you regarding your treatment options
- The latest, cutting edge technology, including Proton therapy, CyberKnife®, and ZAP-X®
- Access to therapists, social workers, genetic counselors, and nutritionists within the program
- Access to multi-center clinical trials in neurosurgery and oncology through our partnerships with the National Institutes of Health and the region’s only National Cancer Institute (NCI) designated comprehensive cancer center at Georgetown University.
- Extra precautions to help you feel at ease during your care, including a clean, safe, protected environment with a separate access door away from the main hospital entrance
Our team members
Location: Change location Enter your location
Brent T. Harris, MD,PhD
John Lynes, MD
Spine Surgery, Brain and Tumor Neurosurgery & Neurosurgery
Emily A Sloan, MD,PhD
Anousheh Sayah, MD
Diagnostic Radiology, Neuroradiology & Interventional Neuroradiology