When you’re not feeling well, there is no place like home. That’s why MedStar Health Home Care provides skilled medical care to patients who are disabled or recovering from an illness, injury or surgical procedure in the comfort of their own homes. We offer a full range of home healthcare services throughout Maryland, D.C., and Northern Virginia to ensure patients receive the care they need, when and where they need it. Learn more about what you can expect from home healthcare services here.
In-Home Healthcare Services:
- Activities of Daily Living Support: To assist patients in resuming their daily routine at home, we provide certified home health aides (HHA) to help with activities of daily living. These activities include bathing, grooming, dressing, walking, and much more.
- After Hours Care and Support: We know that patient care does not end after normal business hours—through our After Hours team, we are able to provide around the clock care. We offer evening and nighttime support as well as weekend and holiday visits.
- Continence Care: Understanding the level of discomfort and embarrassment associated with incontinence, we offer comprehensive in-home continence care for patients. Services include urinary catheter maintenance, toileting programs and home accessibility assessments.
- Infusion Therapy: We provide a wide range of in-home intravenous (IV) and nutritional support services for patients who have gastrointestinal disorders, congestive heart failure, cancer or other conditions that require medication or nutritional sustenance delivered through an IV. Our team includes registered nurses, pharmacists and dieticians who collaborate to provide the most effective care for patients at home.
- Medical Social Work: For individuals who are homebound or choose not to receive medical care at a hospital or other treatment facility, our team works to develop a care plan that enables patients the ability to remain independent at home. Our medical social workers perform an initial in-home assessment to identify patients’ limitations, barriers and safety concerns, and together with the patient’s input and doctor, develop a plan of care suitable for their needs.
- Medication Management: Partnering with the patient’s doctor, our nurses develop a medication schedule, evaluate the effectiveness of medications and educate the patient and/or his or her caregiver on proper dosage, frequency and side effects.
- Ostomy Care: With the guidance of our certified wound, ostomy and continence care nurses, patients and their caregivers learn how to care for and live independently with an ostomy.
- Rehabilitation Nursing: After suffering from a severe injury, like burns, stroke, or amputation, patients often need rehabilitative nursing care to safely transition from hospital or treatment center to home. Initially, the nurse will assess the patient’s abilities, then create a plan of care to address his or her individual needs.
- Skilled Nursing: To help patients regain their independence and recover from injury or illness, MedStar Health Home Care provides skilled nursing services. From medication and disease management to wound care and in-home IV therapy, we provide a wide range of services tailored to meet patient’s unique needs.
- Therapy and Rehabilitation: Whether a patient needs physical, occupational or speech therapy, our team of highly-trained rehabilitation specialists assists patients in improving strength, mobility, balance, swallowing, and communication skills.
- Wound Care: MedStar Health Home Care’s certified wound care nurses provide specialized care and education to ensure wounds heal properly.
- Disease Management: For patients with chronic conditions, such as heart failure, diabetes and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), our Disease Management programs aim to help patients maintain independence and a healthier lifestyle. Services include nursing care, rehabilitation, patient education, and in-home patient monitoring.
- Fall Prevention: With falls ranking as a leading cause of death among aging adults, fall prevention is an essential component of the care our team provides. For individuals who have suffered a fall, or are at risk for falling, our homecare team provides several recommendations to increase a patient’s safety at home.
- High Risk Patient Telephone Monitoring Program: This patient monitoring program uses automated calls to check on high-risk patients and identify urgent health concerns before they require emergency care or admission to the hospital.
- Home Telemonitoring Program: With the assistance of an easy-to-use device, our nurses can monitor and track patients’ symptoms, vital signs, medications and other health information on a daily basis. When negative symptoms arise, our team of nurses can intervene quickly to ensure timely preventative action and care.
- Pain Management: For patients suffering from acute or chronic pain, our team provides a variety of therapy, education and nursing services to help him or her resume daily activities with little or no pain. Services include medication management, post-operative teaching, wound care, therapy, and rehabilitation.
- Palliative Care: Some patients face long-term, critical illnesses that negatively impact their quality of life. MedStar Health Home Care offers support and treatment that focuses on the relief of symptoms, pain, and stress associated with managing these conditions.
- Patient Education and Resources: We provide the necessary tools, resources and educational information to help patients and their caregivers control and care for chronic health conditions.
To find out more about our home healthcare services, call: 800-862-2166.
MedStar Health Home Care Services At a Glance
Would you like an overview of the services offered by MedStar Health Home Care?
Do You Qualify?
Patients must meet certain Eligibility Requirements to qualify for in-home healthcare services.
Awards and Recognition
In 2017, MedStar Health Home Care was named a HomeCare Elite Top Agency for the seventh consecutive year. Learn more about this prestigious award.