Committed to the highest-quality care and improving our community’s health
MedStar Franklin Square is proud to celebrate more than 120 years of service to our community and more than 50 years at our campus in eastern Baltimore County. As one of the fastest growing and most highly regarded hospitals in the region, we offer comprehensive, innovative treatment for a wide range of medical conditions.
Learn more about our history and award-winning patient care.
Investing in high-quality patient care
The Baltimore community was hit hard by the COVID-19 pandemic. MedStar Franklin Square treated the most number of COVID patients in Baltimore County. In fact, many patients throughout the MedStar Health system were transferred to MedStar Franklin Square due to our reputation and ability to care for these patients safely. By the end of Fiscal Year 2021, MedStar Franklin Square cared for over 4,000 COVID-positive patients and discharged over 2,300 COVID-positive patients. MedStar Franklin Square also developed a wellness center for our associates and created a COVID-19 clinic where the team administered over 33,000 COVID vaccines to the community.
Throughout the pandemic, the entire healthcare market lost patient volumes for many reasons, including the delay of elective procedures, reduction of cancer screenings, and cancellation of physician office visits. Thankfully, our community continued to trust MedStar Franklin Square for many of their non-COVID-related services and treatments. By the end of Fiscal Year 2021, many of our patient volumes were higher than before the pandemic started.
MedStar Health invested heavily in MedStar Franklin Square throughout this period. We recruited experts in gastroenterology, neurology, and other integrated services. We opened our surgical pavilion, neurovascular center, stroke care center, and Neurocare ICU. We also constructed a helipad on our roof to help our patients receive more efficient care. Enhancements include:
- A state-of-the art $80-million, 82,000-square-foot surgical pavilion—Opened in 2020, it houses 14 ultra-modern operating suites, pre- and post-operative recovery areas, and associate support spaces, all designed to optimize surgical processes, quality of care, safety, and patient outcomes.
- A seven-story Patient Care Tower—This addition to our campus offers a facility that is as advanced as the high-quality care found inside, with many patient-centered touches to create a safe, comfortable, healing environment.
- Joining forces with MedStar Georgetown Cancer Institute—Our cancer programs at MedStar Franklin Square and MedStar Health Bel Air officially became part of MedStar Georgetown Cancer Institute, supporting MedStar Health's multidisciplinary model of care.
- Launching our Reconstructive Surgery Center—Our Reconstructive Surgery Center was opened for patients undergoing gender affirmation, cosmetic and reconstructive, and extensive cancer-removing surgeries.
- A new Inpatient Oncology Unit—This new unit provides spacious facilities for patients and families undergoing treatment for cancer.
With more than 3,500 skilled professionals, including over 2,000 nurses, our hospital is one of the largest employers in Baltimore County. We have more than 800 practicing physicians, employed and affiliated, who chose MedStar Franklin Square as their hospital of choice for surgical referrals, radiology, and laboratory services.
Additionally, our hospital continuously invests in community health and wellness initiatives. In 2020, more than $48.3 million was allocated to community benefit programs.
As part of MedStar Health, we have a shared mission to provide safe, high-quality care, excellent service, and education to improve the health of our community.
Our vision is to be the trusted leader in caring for people and advancing health.
- Service: We strive to anticipate and meet the needs of our patients, physicians, and co-workers.
- Patient First: We strive to deliver the best to every patient every day. The patient is the first priority in everything we do.
- Integrity: We communicate openly and honestly, build trust, and conduct ourselves according to the highest ethical standards.
- Respect: We treat each individual, those we serve and those with whom we work, with the highest professionalism and dignity.
- Innovation: We embrace change and work to improve all we do in a fiscally responsible manner.
- Teamwork: System effectiveness is built on collective strength and cultural diversity of everyone, working with open communication and mutual respect.
Facts and figures
Numbers don’t tell our whole story, but they help to spotlight our capabilities and service to the community.
Fiscal year 2020
Total licensed beds
Total number of physicians
Annual emergency department visits
Annual baby deliveries
- Magnet Designation by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) for excellence in nursing.
- The American Heart Association’s “Mission: Lifeline® - STEMI Receiving Center” Gold Award.
- The American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s “Get with the Guidelines®” Stroke Gold Plus Achievement Award.
- The Cribs for Kids® National Safe Sleep Hospital Certification.
- Baltimore magazine recognized 87 MedStar Health physicians as “Top Doctors” in November 2020
- Baltimore magazine recognized 5 MedStar Franklin Square nurses for Excellence in Nursing
- Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Maryland Patient Safety Center’s Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome Center of Excellence Award.
- Nurse Improving Care for Healthsystem Elders (NICHE) Senior Friendly