Focused care throughout your pregnancy journey
At MedStar Health, our experienced team prides itself on providing comprehensive maternity services before and after the delivery of your baby. From preconception counseling, to prenatal care, to delivery, and postpartum services, we aim to ensure healthy moms and babies have a happy well-prepared start for their growing families.
We offer state-of-the-art labor and delivery rooms, emergency triage, surgical suites, and a team of 24-hour anesthesiologists, midwifery, OB/GYN practitioners, and neonatologists to provide care for all full-term, ill, or premature newborns. With thousands of babies delivered and thousands of gynecological/gynecologic-oncology surgeries each year, we are dedicated to the utmost care of mother and child.
Some highlights of our maternity and newborn services include:
- Care for high-risk pregnancies and consultations to help expectant parents be fully informed
- Maternal-Fetal Medicine to assist in managing high-risk, complicated pregnancies
- Optional midwife services from certified providers who can perform routine gynecologic and pregnancy care and manage labor and delivery if you choose
- Award-winning Level III and Level IV neonatal intensive care units to serve our smallest patients
- Access to a level II Special Care Nursery
- Individualized support for your newborn feeding plans (several of our hospitals are baby-friendly designated from Baby-Friendly USA)
- Lactation resources
- Education on safe newborn sleeping practices (several of our hospitals including MedStar Franklin Square, MedStar Harbor Hospital, MedStar Georgetown University Hospital, MedStar St. Mary's, and MedStar Washington Hospital Center) are certified as a National Safe Sleep Hospital by The Cribs for Kids®
- Encouragement of bonding with your newborn via skin-to-skin contact
- Sibling visitations and comfortable sleeping accommodations for delivery supporters
- Mother/baby support groups and classes
- Close access to restaurants and shops if support partner needs to pick-up food, clothing, or gifts during the new mother's stay Many of our parents choose to continue their newborn’s care with MedStar Health by choosing one of our many Pediatrics providers, conveniently located throughout the Baltimore and D.C. region
Many of our parents choose to continue their newborn’s care with MedStar Health by choosing one of our many Pediatrics providers, conveniently located throughout the Baltimore and D.C. region.
Comprehensive obstetrics and pregnancy services
Prenatal care from our physicians and nurses includes a full range of obstetrics and pregnancy services for expectant parents, including:
Award-winning care providers and facilities
Our MedStar Health physicians and staff members are continuously recognized for providing exemplary patient experiences. Our staff includes some of the Top Doctors recognized by Baltimore Magazine and Washingtonian magazine and nurses who have achieved national Magnet status for their high-quality care.
Some of our hospitals have also received the prestigious Baby-Friendly designation for its parent-newborn bonding (e.g., skin-to-skin contact), breastfeeding support initiatives, and educating on all infant feeding options. Our hospitals have received the March of Dimes Healthy Babies are Worth the Wait award. In addition, some of our hospitals are consistently recognized as a Crib for Kids National Bronze Certified Safe Sleep hospital for its commitment to reducing infant, sleep-related deaths by promoting and educating our new parents on best safe sleep practices. Several of our hospitals are certified as a National Safe Sleep Hospital by The Cribs for Kids®. We are focused on supporting our new parents by providing the skills they need to practice safe sleep at home.
Preparing families for their newborn arrivals
We support expectant parents' needs by offering a wide range of classes to help you prepare for your baby's arrival, whether it’s your first, second, or beyond. Our programs are designed with every family member in mind and include:
Preparing for childbirth
Prenatal and postpartum yoga
Infant care and safety
Parenting and grandparenting skills
View All of Our Childbirth and Family Education Classes Here
Childbirth and parenting classes
Patient safety is our priority. We’ve taken extra precautions to continue providing compassionate care in a safe environment. Read our most up-to-date guidelines for Labor and Delivery visitors during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Also for your safety, in-person classes and tours have been temporarily cancelled. Please find virtual classes here.
Sports team partnerships
MedStar Health is the official medical team of many professional, collegiate, and recreational teams in the Baltimore and Washington, D.C., region. Due to this partnership, patients of our mother/baby and NICU units are sometimes visited by many of the athletes for special promotions and events.
Distance from Change locationEnter your location
MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center
9000 Franklin Square Dr. Baltimore, MD 21237
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital
3800 Reservoir Rd. NW Washington, DC, 20007
MedStar Harbor Hospital
3001 S. Hanover St. Baltimore, MD 21225
MedStar Montgomery Medical Center
18101 Prince Philip Dr. Olney, MD 20832
MedStar Southern Maryland Hospital Center
7503 Surratts Rd. Clinton, MD 20735
MedStar St Mary's Hospital
25500 Point Lookout Rd. Leonardtown, MD 20650
MedStar Washington Hospital Center
110 Irving St. NW Washington, DC 20010
MedStar Franklin Square Hospital Center Women’s Pavilion
MedStar Harbor Hospital Women and Infants' Center
MedStar Montgomery Medical Center Maternity Unit
MedStar Southern Maryland Hospital Center’s Women and Newborn Center
MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital’s Women's Health & Family Birthing Center
MedStar Washington Hospital Center Family Birth Place