The orthopedic rehabilitation program at MedStar Health offers inpatient services that focus on restoring a patient’s highest level of function. A hallmark of the program is early intervention following injury or surgery, which helps ensure a speedier and more positive recovery.
We treat individuals with a variety of conditions, including:
Amputation (Learn more about Amputee Services)
Hip fracture surgery
Joint replacement surgery
Multiple orthopedic traumas
Before discharging a patient, we will recommend services the patient will need in order to transition to the next level of care. This might include outpatient services through MedStar Health Physical Therapy.
We also offer access to skilled nursing facilities and home care through the MedStar visiting nurse association. Our job is to build a roadmap for recovery and to provide support along the journey.
- Specialists in physical medicine and rehabilitation, orthopedic surgery, internal medicine, and rheumatology manage patient care
- The program uses the most advanced diagnostic and therapeutic equipment
- Prostheses and orthotics are manufactured and fitted onsite
- Other services include skin care, aquatic therapy, pain management, and work-related assistance
- Our Arm Amputee Program addresses the specific physical, psychosocial, and functional needs of people who have suffered arm loss
- Our engineers can create adaptive equipment to assist in activities of daily living and recreation
- Walking therapy using the robotic ZeroG Support System is available
Outpatient orthopedic rehabilitation services
We offer outpatient services for individuals who have had amputation, hip fracture, joint replacement, or cancer surgery. We also treat a wide range of foot and ankle conditions, including arthritis, bursitis, plantar fasciitis, and common strains and sprains.
Services are managed by board-certified specialists in physical medicine and rehabilitation, orthopedic surgery, internal medicine, and rheumatology. These include:
- Post-surgical rehabilitation
- Skin care management
- On-site manufacturing and fitting of prostheses and orthoses
- Prosthetics and orthotics clinic
- Manual therapy
- Pain management
- Provision of durable medical equipment and assistive technology
- Patient and family education
- Work-related services
- Environmental restructuring
- Supportive psychotherapy and counseling
- Vocational evaluation and counseling
- Continued care planning
MedStar National Rehabilitation Network and MedStar Health are committed to helping our patients. Our doctors, nurses, and rehabilitation specialists work with the latest technology to provide complete care, from diagnosis, treatment, and surgery to recovery and rehabilitation. Learn more about orthopedic rehabilitation at MedStar Health
For assistance with getting back to work after your injury or illness, we can help link you with your state vocational rehabilitation agency.