The Orthopedic Rehabilitation program at MedStar Health offers inpatient services that focus on restoring the highest level of function for patients recovering from surgeries and conditions affecting the musculoskeletal system, including but not limited to:
- Cancer surgery
- Hip-fracture surgery
- Joint replacement
- Multiple orthopedic traumas
Our doctors, nurses, and rehabilitation specialists work with the latest technology to provide complete care, from diagnosis, treatment, and surgery to recovery and rehabilitation. A hallmark of the program is early intervention following injury or surgery, which helps ensure a speedier and more positive recovery.
Our inpatient services combine medical treatment with a multidisciplinary therapeutic approach that is designed to aid in a safe recovery and transition back to everyday activities while preventing secondary complications. Our goal is to help patients return to a pain-free, active lifestyle, whether that involves recreational hobbies, work, or competitive sports.
Each patient benefits from an individualized rehabilitation plan that considers their goals, strengths, and current limitations. Our program is designed to get patients back in action safely by empowering them with the resources and tools they need to care for themselves as they transition back to their home and community.
To maximize our patients’ physical abilities and overall function, our program may include*:
- A team approach involving specialists in physical medicine and rehabilitation, orthopedic surgery, internal medicine, and rheumatology manage patient care
- Rigorous physical and occupational therapy for an average of three hours a day, five days each week
- The most advanced diagnostic and therapeutic equipment, including ZeroG®, a robotic body-weight support system that gives our patients the confidence and security they need as they relearn to walk and rehabilitate from injury
- Custom design and fitting for prostheses, orthotics, and assistive devices onsite
- Specialty services, including skin care, pain management, and work-related assistance
- Rehabilitation engineering, which allows our engineers to create adaptive equipment to assist in activities of daily living and recreation
- Patient and family member education and support in preparation for discharge
- Care coordination from a dedicated case manager or social worker who helps the patient and their family understand the recovery process and consider the options as the patient progresses
*Services may vary by location
Preparing for discharge
Our team works closely with you and your family from admission through discharge to ensure you have the appropriate care, services, and resources as you transition to each level of care. After inpatient rehabilitation, you may benefit from outpatient services through MedStar Health Physical Therapy, skilled nursing facilities, or home care through MedStar Health Home Care. We're here for you whenever and wherever you need us with outpatient clinics located throughout Maryland, Northern Virginia, and Washington, D.C.
Our orthopedic rehabilitation services are enhancing the lives of the people we serve. Learn more below.