To apply to our program in ERAS, please select the MedStar Health (Baltimore) Program, ID # 1402312159
Program Director’s Welcome
Thank you for your interest in our residency program, MedStar Health Internal Medicine, Baltimore. Our program prides itself on training outstanding internists, providing excellent care for our patients, and allowing our residents to meet their career goals. Our program provides flexibility and a broad range of resources to prepare our residents to succeed should they choose to enter fellowship training or start fulfilling careers in hospital medicine or primary care.
In addition to these clinical and educational resources, our program emphasizes relationships between people. Our faculty and residents make up the heart and soul of the residency program and we work hard to foster strong mentor-mentee bonds. We value teamwork, camaraderie, peer learning, and a humane learning environment. We hope to add passionate residents to our team who share these principles.
I want to share with you our mission and vision for the residency and allow that to help you get to know us better and discern whether this is the right place for you.
To train highly skilled, compassionate, and balanced general internists in a supportive environment that fosters the growth of individual interests and talents. We seek to train physicians from diverse backgrounds to become leaders and agents of change in whatever setting they choose for their career.
In our program, we want you to become excellent physicians, but we also want you to be excellent people. Our job is to support you, mentor you, and provide you with opportunities for success. We are looking for diversity in all of its forms and want you to become a leader and change agent in our world.
In the MedStar Health Internal Medicine, Baltimore, residency training program we pledge:
- To provide every patient with compassionate, evidence-based, and cost-conscious care every day
- Patients are the whole reason we are here, right? In our hospitals, we want them to be at the top of our vision statement and we won't forget that their needs come first. We are very serious about providing patient-centered, compassionate care that puts patients at ease, respects their needs, and allows them to take an active role in their care. At the same time, this compassionate care must be high value (rooted in evidence) and provided with an awareness of how our care impacts the cost of health care for the patient, our health system, and society as a whole.
- To provide the highest quality education to the next generation of physicians and graduate competent individuals ready for the independent practice of medicine.
- We are serious about training physicians for the future. When you walk up to the podium on graduation night, that certificate you receive is not just a piece of paper. Your certificate is something you have earned through hard work in meeting the competencies required to independently practice medicine. We do not take this lightly and have a detailed process to ensure you are on the right path making progress to graduation, every step of the way.
- To uphold the highest professional standards in the practice of internal medicine and advance MedStar’s vision of being a trusted leader in caring for people and advancing health
- What we mean by the 'highest professional standards' is that we expect accountability, professionalism and honesty from ourselves and our colleagues in our daily practice. This includes admitting our mistakes, being transparent in our actions, and a continuing process of honest self-evaluation. Further, we want other programs to look at our body of work with respect and the desire to duplicate our outcomes.
I have only just begun to give you some good insight as to who we are. If my words resonate with you, we may be a good fit for each other. Please explore the rest of the site to get to know more about me, our core faculty members, and, of course, our residents and residency program.
Please take some time to explore the rest of what our program offers.
Thank you for your interest!
Gregory Nizialek MD
MedStar Health Internal Medicine, Baltimore