Welcome to our hospital
An indispensable provider of complex patient care for the region
As a not-for-profit, 912-bed academic and research center, MedStar Washington Hospital Center is the largest and busiest hospital in the greater Washington, D.C., metropolitan region. The hospital serves as a referral center for patients with the most complex conditions as well as a safety-net provider for residents of our immediate community.
With 400,000 annual patient visits, the Hospital Center is renowned for handling the region’s most challenging cases in such areas as trauma, burn, cardiovascular disease, stroke, cancer, and neurosurgery.
MedStar Washington offers an experienced medical/dental and surgical staff of 1,500 physicians and 350 advanced practice providers, and at any given time is leading or participating in more than 330 clinical research trials. With this level of expertise and experience, MedStar Washington attracts approximately 350 residents and fellows annually to its 40 clinical residency and fellowship programs.
Our reputation for excellence is well-earned:
- U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks MedStar Washington as one of the nation’s top 50 hospitals for cardiology and heart surgery.
- Our MedSTAR Trauma Center, offering the nation’s highest level of comprehensive care for critical multiple injury, is recognized nationally for outstanding outcomes.
- We were the first in the area to be designated by The Joint Commission as a Comprehensive Stroke Center.
- We offer the region’s only adult Burn Center, which has served as a national model in advanced burn care therapies.
- Our programs in cancer, critical care, diabetes, gastroenterology, nephrology, orthopaedics, pulmonology, and urology have also earned national respect.
- Nearly 10 years ago, recognizing the vital importance of nursing professional development, MedStar Washington established the Center for Excellence in Nursing, one of the nation’s first hospital-based facilities dedicated to nursing education. And in 2017, our nursing department earned Pathway to Excellence Designation®.
Patient and visitor informationAt our center, physicians, nurses, and support staff work together to find the best and most effective treatment for you. With our internationally renowned heart and vascular institute and Level I trauma center, we handle the most complex cases in the region.
While you are here in the hospital, we’ll make sure your stay is as safe, pleasant, and comfortable as possible. Here’s all the information you’ll need.
MedStar Health participates with most major health insurance plans. Please contact your insurance company to make sure your plan is covered.
Classes and events
Take part in the 2024 Community Health Needs Assessment
We invite you to take part in this 10-minute survey. We will not collect your name, or any personally identifiable information and your responses will be kept confidential. Your input will help inform important health and healthcare initiatives in your community.
If you need help taking this survey, or if you have questions, please send an email to the MedStar Community Health team at email@example.com.
Explore our medical education opportunities
Cardio-Oncology Fellowship Contact: