About the MedStar Cardiovascular Research Network
MedStar Health, our heart and vascular care physicians are dedicated to fighting heart disease, stroke and other conditions affecting the heart and blood vessels. Through MedStar Health Research Institute and MedStar Health, patients have access to some of the nation's leading technology, the latest clinical trials and unparalleled expertise. We offer cardiac patients some of the most sophisticated diagnostic, treatment, and rehabilitation services available. Our world-renowned investigators, basic and translational scientists, interventional cardiologists, research nurses, technicians, sonographers, and support staff are committed to developing new technologies and strategies to enhance patient care. MedStar clinicians and researchers are focused on safety, access to service, innovation, technology, communication, clinical outcomes and patient satisfaction. At MedStar Health, our treatment options are grounded in evidence-based medicine, and our research programs conducted through MedStar Health Research Institute support your doctor's treatment plan for you. When it comes to healthcare, higher volumes correspond with superior outcomes, and MedStar hospitals care for more heart patients than any other hospital or health system in the Baltimore-Washington region.
For Patients/Participants: Cardiovascular Research Trials
Cardiovascular research provides patients with the opportunity to contribute to the advancement of knowledge and treatment for heart and vascular disease. Clinical research trials also may provide access to new drugs and interventions. At MedStar Health Research Institute, our research efforts are designed to improve quality of life for heart patients. Our cardiologists and cardiac surgeons are well positioned to translate research into state-of-the-art daily care for patients. Our innovative research and therapeutic clinical trials are available to patients throughout the Baltimore-Washington region. Learn more about our cardiovascular research trials.
Cardiac research brings patients hope and new treatments for a variety of heart and vascular conditions. MedStar investigators are leading innovations in patient care for the conditions most commonly experienced by our patients, as well as pioneering new, improved pharmaceutical options. Current research topics include the following:
- Cardiac interventional research
- Cardiac arrhythmia research
- Heart failure research
- Cardiovascular drug studies
For Investigators and Sponsors: Cardiovascular Core Imaging Lab
In cardiovascular medicine, having the right imaging technology available facilitates optimal diagnostic and therapeutic services. The Cardiovascular Core Imaging Lab at MedStar Health Research Institute provides proven expertise in technologies, including magnetic resonance imaging, computerized tomography and ultrasound, in an efficient, responsive environment. The capabilities of the Imaging Lab across a wide array of imaging specialties have created a resource that contributes to improved clinical practice and patient outcomes. Our Imaging Lab’s core laboratories specialize in processing, analyzing and interpreting imaging, bringing the latest technology to clinical practice. Learn more about our Cardiovascular Core Imaging Lab.
For Investigators and Sponsors: Clinical Research Organization
Cardiovascular researchers aim to find better ways to diagnose and treat patients with cardiac disease. At MedStar Health Research Institute, these aims are facilitated through our Clinical Research Organization, which functions to support investigators pursuing basic and translational research. The Clinical Research Organization provides investigators with the support they need to fulfill administrative, organizational, legal, and best practice requirements. Based at MedStar Washington Hospital Center, this Organization also provides access to a high volume of patient cohorts from the Hospital Center as well as from the greater MedStar Health system. Learn more about our Clinical Research Organization.
Awards, Recognitions, Innovative Technologies
- Our heart program is the only one in the Washington, DC, metropolitan area to be ranked nationally (top 50) byS. News & World Report.
- The Society of Thoracic Surgeons has awarded our cardiac surgery program with its highest quality rating of three-stars for the seventh year in a row.
- The Ventricular Assist Device (VAD) program at MedStar Washington Hospital Center is the only Joint Commission-accredited VAD program in Washington, DC.
- MedStar Heart Institute at MedStar Washington Hospital Center is one of three Washington, DC, hospitals to receive the 2013 Excellence Award for Quality Improvement by the Delmarva Foundation of the District of Columbia.
- MedStar Washington Hospital Center was named a Blue Cross Blue Shield Blue Distinction Center for cardiac care in 2013.
- Our dedicated research laboratories specialize in vascular and molecular biology, pre-clinical studies, lipoprotein metabolism, atherosclerosis research and cardiac imaging.