MedStar Response to Incorrect Media Reports

April 6, 2016

News reports circulating about the malware attack on MedStar Health’s IT system are incorrect. Our partner Symantec, a global leader in cybersecurity, has been on the ground from the start of the situation and has been conducting a thorough forensic analysis, as they have done for many other leading companies around the world. In reference to the attack at MedStar, Symantec said, “The 2007 and 2010 fixes referenced in the article were not contributing factors in this event.”

As we have said before, based on the advice of IT, cybersecurity and law enforcement experts, MedStar will not be elaborating further on additional aspects of this malware event. This is not only for the protection and security of MedStar Health, its patients and associates, but is also for the benefit of other healthcare organizations and companies. However, we felt compelled to set the record straight on this incorrect report. MedStar has worked closely with the FBI throughout this situation, and we are appreciative of their support.

MedStar sees the protection of patient and associate information as a core responsibility, and we are pleased that we have no evidence of any compromise of patient or associate data. Furthermore, we are pleased that we brought our systems back up in what can only be viewed as a very rapid recovery led by dedicated MedStar and external IT expert partners.

MedStar Health President and CEO Kenneth A. Samet, FACHE, said, “The heroic work of our caregivers to continue to provide high quality, safe patient care at near normal volume levels throughout last week is a testament to their dedication and expertise, and the unwavering commitment of our organization to serving our communities.”

Contact:

 

Ann C. Nickels
410-772-6661
[email protected]

Category : Technology/IT ,

Back to Top